HOW HINDQUARTERS DOG BEDS ARE MADE
Ten years ago, unable to find really good beds for the dogs, we put on our thinking caps on and designed what we now consider the ultimate dog bed. We wanted to make a dog bed that ticks all boxes:
- Maximum comfort. A soft semi-structured dog bed, with the right kind of stuffing, gives sufficient support and soft natural fabrics ensure a cosy sleep surface: providing maximum comfort for your dog.
- Minimum hassle. We wanted a dog bed that was easy to keep clean, fresh and healthy. Loose removable covers are simple to keep clean: just sling in the machine at 40. With multiple dogs, we hoover daily and wash our dog beds covers once a week - perhaps - less over summer when things are less muddy. The inner cushions for the dog beds are washable too - in case of any little accidents.
- Long-lasting and durable. We use good quality fabrics and materials and closely oversee UK production.
- Easy on the eye.
We kept two things fore of mind when designing the dog bed: First, the sleeping habits of dogs: dogs love their own spot to settle down and chill and dogs sleep a lot. Sometimes a quick nap, sometimes a deep snooze, they shift around and adopt a lot of different postions when asleep. See images on the right of dogs lounging and snoozing and dreaming on our red cord dog beds. So we wanted our dog beds to accommodate all a dog's various sleeping habits and positions.
Secondly, we like things to be minimum fuss and so wanted a practical dog bed that would last: a dog bed easy to keep clean and fresh - and tough enough to withstand a bit of rough and tumble.
After researching different materials and road-testing a few prototypes we made our first proper dog bed. An oval shaped dog bed with low bolster allows a dog to either curl up cosily or stretch right out upside down, dependant on their mood. We have evolved and upgraded elements since the first dog beds we made. For example, we now use virgin polyester fibres for the stuffing because it has unparallelled cushioning and insulation properties and the fibres don't attract moisture or bacteria so stay clean and fresh, and retain their bounce over time. These are the key features of Hindquarters dog beds:
- Removable washable dog bed cover: Our loose covers are made from densely woven natural fabrics that are soft and strong. We use thick denim and dense weave cotton corduroy in various colours. Plus some one-off vintage fabric finds. Just remove and machine wash at 40 when mucky. A lengthways split along the bottom of the dog bed cover is fixed with velcro (no zips, buttons or other hazards) and allows easy removal and replacement - a bit like changing a duvet cover. Spare or replacement dog bed covers are available.
- Hard-wearing inner dog bed: A technical sportswear fabric is used to make the casing of the inner dog bed. It is a lightweight and soft material but also tough and scratch-proof which is both waterproof and breathable - just wipe clean. The inner dog bed comprises two elements: a central cushion and a surrounding bolster, which can be seperated from each other, making the dog bed easy to vacuum or machine wash - if necessary. Image shows the central cushion of an inner dog bed being stuffed.
- Dog bed stuffing: Hindquarters dog beds are hand stuffed with virgin polyester fibres that have a high crimp level. These fibres create a soft cushion that retains its shape and bounce for longer. Crucially, this dog bed stuffing doesn't hold moisture or bacteria and is hypoallergenic. So Hindquarters dog beds don't smell and help keep things fresh, happy and healthy.
- Dog bed shape and structure: an oval shape with a low bolster accomodates all types of sleeping positions and offers comfortable support, as well as protection from draughts. Dogs can curl up in a ball or comfortably stretch right out - or any position in between.
All Hindquarters dog beds are lovingly handmade in the UK and appreciated by pups across the world. Sleep on it, lounge on it, dream on it.
Mrs C - 'Believe me, the dogs have the comfiest beds in this house! But seriously, these dog beds are amazing. After having big dogs for years and never nailing it we finally have with the scrumptious Hindquarters dog bed.'
If you have questions about sizing or other things, please get in touch. Below are some images of Hindquarters dog beds in action.
Chip alseep sideways on a small silver cord dog bed:
Percy lounging on a soft but tough dog bed with a silver corduroy removable cover:
The base - with a velcro split - which allows easy removal/replacement of the dog bed cover:
The inner dog bed is comprised of two elements - a central cushion and a bolster - made from a waterproof and scratch proof material that is also breathable. The central inner dog bed cushion can be removed, aiding hoovering and cleaning. Both elements can be machine washed if necessary:
Twig puts the green cord dog bed into action (just sling dog bed cover in the wash machine when mucky):
A small size green cord dog bed we use a thick corduroy that has a soft luxe feel: